Wednesday, April 8, 2020

CoronaCrafts - Season's Greetings

I printed out my gigantic spreadsheet of addresses to make it faster to get my envelopes addressed, and my cards ready to go without having to first turn on the computer.  As I was running through the list and deciding where my weekend cards would go to this past Monday morning, I realized that, like me, a bunch of people on my list would be celebrating Passover starting this week.  VoilĂ !  A new set of multiples was conceived!  I figured that a dozen ought to do it, and that was almost enough. 


The tree stamp is part of a set I got at a stamp convention a while ago, and I think the company no longer exists:  The Tree of Life set by Rubber CafĂ©.  The set is one of the few I have that has any kind of Jewish theme.  Unfortunately, I don't love the style of the sentiments included in the set, but there are three of the trees, which is what drew me to the set in the first place:  the tree as a solid silhouette in a frame, the tree as an outline drawing in a frame, and this one, the negative image tree.  I liked the concept of using all three versions of the tree, but they wouldn't fit on an A2-size card, and I just don't love working with 5x7 cards over much.  So I went with this concept of a square card with one image stamped in a grid format.

For some unknown reason, I decided to use archival inks as I thought they would give great coverage with this relatively solid stamp.  This is even after I recently learned in a video that dye inks might be best for solid stamps because the ink gets absorbed by the paper rather than sitting on top, but nevertheless, archival inks it was. 

I have only a very little experience with these inks, so making these cards was great experience, if nothing else.  I started with the yellow square and was having a tough time, and had to stamp the image three times to get any kind of solid color.  Then I figured out that the ink pad, which I had only used to stamp a color swatch, was likely pretty dry, and it was not user error.  But the other three ink pads for the green, blue, and purple were full of ink and relatively easy to work with.  And I was relieved to see that they stamp out in a very intense shade, and then fade back just a touch.  I was hoping they would, but it was just a tad alarming to see that dark, strong purple next to the other three softer colors until it had time to dry for a few minutes.

I have no Passover sentiments in my collection.  In fact, I don't think I've ever sent a Passover card before, but fun fonts and a printer to the rescue, and all was well.

These cards were fun and satisfying to make, but I think they've cured me of making multiples for a while.  My plan is to go back to single cards, or maybe make two of the same design, and keep sending at least one per day.  Since I started my CoronaCrafts project a little bit more than 3 weeks ago, I've sent 37 cards to friends.  I have many, many more to go, but I think we'll still be home for a good bit yet, so I'm guessing I'll get pretty close to the end of my list of friends to say hello to.

Tomorrow:  Fun with layers

No comments:

Post a Comment