Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Think Pink!

I never make anything in pink, despite what Kay Thompson said!

...except for now, I suppose.

In an earlier post, I wrote about my serendipitous collection of art deco/art nouveau rose craft items, including Poppystamps' Art Deco Roses die.  My mother's birthday was the perfect excuse to both play with that die and dabble in an unusual (for me) color choice.


This was also my first experiment with the inlay technique of filling in your die cuts with the cut-out pieces, shown here in a contrasting color.  No doubt this is easier both with practice and with dies that have fewer solid pieces, and although I liked the end effect on my cart, it was a pain to do with this die.  If I do it again with this die, I'll only fill in a couple of the largest roses, rather than all of them.

I also loved using Technique Junkie's Bubble Girl image.  She presented a different type of challenge for me as I gravitate toward images that face to the right from the viewer's perspective, rather than to the left.  But I'm too fond of the stamp to not use it, so I'll add this to the list of ways this simple card moved me ever-so-slightly closer to the edge of my creative comfort zone.

In the world of card making, various stamp manufacturers, affinity groups, and other sites host challenges.  I hate competitions, and am in no way competitive, but I keep track of a few challenge series' topics if only to give myself a list of key words that might spark an idea if I ever run dry, or the impetus to carve out time to actually sit down and make something.  When I saw this week's challenge from CASology, I thought, I won't even write that one down, I never do anything in pink.  But then when I was posting a few new cards to Pinterest, I remembered this one, AND had a picture of it.  I'll write a little more about some of my (very few) challenge entries in a future post.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece to inlay. Thank you for sharing with us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful pink card. I do love the look of those inlaid roses--quite worth the effort. Thanks so much for playing along at CASology this week.

    ReplyDelete