Friday, September 18, 2015

So Many New Things - Part 2 - Embossing Folders & Die Cuts

My love affair with embossing folders continues.  I don't think I've really hit the sweet spot for using embossing folders, but that doesn't stop me from acquiring them...

At some point I ran across a card made with the apocryphal Cuttlebug Raindrops/Snowflake embossing folder, seemingly was only ever available in Europe.  This card from I'm In Heaven uses it:


Of course, as something unattainable, this became something I must have, something to search for online, on Ebay, anywhere.  In my searching, I came across Taylored Expressions, which has a very similar folder.  I ordered that one and a couple of others at some point last spring.

Snowfall

Music

Walking on Sunshine

I see now that Taylored Expressions does have a separate "rain" folder.  I may have to think about that one, but only after I actually use the "snow" folder for something.

Back at the Heirloom Show last spring, I picked up a few folders and die cuts from various vendors.  I think I gave most of my money that day to Impression Obsession (more about their stamps in a future post).  I love tile cuts like these two below (and really want one from Memory Box that I can't get any more...) as an easy way to add texture to a cover and let a background paper show through.  My first attempt at using one of them is below.  I don't love it, but I'll keep working at it...
Fancy Cut-out Border
Square Cut-out


I spent a long time at the IO booth, dithering over stamp choices and watching demos.  There was one sample card I kept coming back to:


I never make cards with cats, but I'm drawn to cards with night skies, moons and snow/stars.  So I found and purchased that die cut too.

Sun & Moon Die

There are approximately a million Memory Box (and Poppystamps) items that I want, or at least want to look at.  Looking at them is key for me, and that's the hard part.  There are no stores near me that carry these products, and though I was hoping to encounter a vendor at the Heirloom show, only Marco's Paper had even a few products.  Here's what I got:

Breezy Clouds Detail Plate
Brilliant Circle Outline

I really have no idea how to use a "Detail Plate."  I think it's all embossing, but it's not a folder, and it's therefore different and confusing to the likes of me.  But I bet if I try it and get the sandwich right, it'll be fine.  I like the Brilliant Circles because they look like citrus slices.  There's another die that's a solid background companion to this one, but that was nowhere in evidence at the show.

Sometime over the summer I did an order from Scrapbook.com.  Among other things, I picked up a couple of items that had been on my wish list for a long time:  Ink-its Letterpress Plates by Sizzix.


Music
Trellis Corner
These plates are designed for letterpress printing, but I bet they work just fine for dry embossing (or debossing), and as I really want to figure out letterpress printing with embossing folders hopefully these will encourage me to keep working at it.

While I was on the Scrapbook.com site, I found another (sort-of) embossing product I hadn't seen before:  Spellbinders Texture Plates.   These seem to be designed for non-paper applications, especially metal and foil, but I'm going to try them on paper.  I was drawn in by the designs.  I'm so consistent in my tastes...


French Script


Music

Poetry
At various points along the way, I picked up a few other Spellbinders products.  From their M-bossabilities line, this is their Cabbage Rose folder.  I love this Art Deco rose pattern.  One of Tim Holtz stencils I featured in my previous post has them, and I have a few other products on my list with this similar pattern.
I never quite understood the need for nesting dies, but finding this set on sale, I picked it up.  I do use some layers in my card making, so this basic rectangles set from Spellbinders Nestabilities series may be useful.  I really should try to find the set that is based on A2 card scaling, because that's the card size I use all the time.



I found the Nestabilities at a small shop, Stamp Therapy, in Grand Rapids, MI when I was passing through town on a work trip.  The other thing I picked up there was a set of embossing folders made by the Project Life folks.  This set is called Southern Wedding, for a reason I can't fathom.


I don't love the florals, but the ATC-sized garlands are so cute, I couldn't resist. 

And finally, this set from We R Memory Keepers came from my local Paper Source.  I think the Thank You strip will see a lot of use, even if the other don't.


Next up, new stamps!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment